Harambee is a Swahili word that means, “let’s pull together.” Harambee Community Services (HCS), a specialized behavioral management day program, unifies a community of interested partners in pulling together to support participants as they maximize their potential & abilities to enjoy themselves in inclusive culturally sensitive environments.
Our program is designed as a comprehensive, coordinated, culturally sensitive instructional program that takes into consideration each participant’s skills and competencies, needs, preferred wishes and well being.
Our participants face complex challenges. Therefore, we work collaboratively with key stakeholders (participants, parents, regional center staff, residential vendors and generic community supports) to develop and implement a “person-focused program.” The program can serve 30 participants.
HCS Program Objectives
- Ensure Consumers are active participants in the development of their Individual Service Plan (ISP)
- Assist Consumers in exercising his or her rights
- Teach functional skills to replace challenging behaviors
- Assist each Consumer in developing a wide repertoire of appropriate responses
- Reduce barriers to independence
- Provide a smooth transition for Consumers leaving State Hospitals or other restrictive environments
- Help Consumers develop social skills that enable them to function in a less restrictive environment without the need of intensive staff support
- Develop an environment that offers Consumers a variety of experiences that encourage decision making and appropriate choices
- Develop and maintain a safe, therapeutic & fun environment
- Diagnosis of a developmental disability or condition similar to a developmentally disability that requires the same services and supports
- At least 18 years of age or older
- A Purchase of Service from a Regional Center
- Transitioning from a State Developmental Center or locked community program
- A desire and ability to participate in a 1:2 staffing ratio
We work with individuals who may have the following characteristics:
- Severe Behavioral Challenges (aggression-verbal and physical, property destruction, Pica, temper tantrums, wanderers/AWOL, self-stimulation behaviors, sexual acting out, public disrobing, spitting, self-injurious, fecal smearing severe hyperactivity etc.)
- Resistiveness-failure to participate in activities previously agreed upon that impact health & safety
- Socially inappropriate responses – tantruming (screaming, crying, stomping, and other disruptive behaviors), self-injurious behaviors (including head banging or hair pulling) or self- stimulating behaviors (including rocking, staring, public masturbation, feces smearing etc.)
- Mental Health Challenges (psychotic conditions that are active or in remission, bipolar, mood/anxiety disorders, post traumatic stress disorder, attention deficit disorder characterological (e.g. anti-social) disorders, etc.)
- Sensory disabilities (Blind and visually impaired; Deaf and hearing impaired)
- Medical challenges and or non ambulatory
- Substance Abuse diagnosis
Note: Behaviors such as arson/fire setting and forensic situations are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Location of Services
- San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda and Contra Costa County Communities