Harambee’s Chunguza Community Adult Day Care Program offers opportunities for consumers to develop and enhance their academic and pre-vocational capabilities through microenterprises, service learning, volunteer positions, and matriculation in local community colleges and adult education programs.
The Chunguza Community Adult Day Care Program can serve 45 consumers.
- Diagnosis of a developmental disability or condition similar to a developmentally disability that requires the same services and supports
- At least 18 years of age or older
- A Purchase of Service from Regional Center of the East Bay (or other local Regional Center) for services
- A desire to participate in a Community Based Adult Day Program
- Ability to be successful in a 1 staff to 3 consumer ratio in the community
We work with individuals who may have the following characteristics:
- Behavioral challenges
- Resistiveness-failure to participate in activities previously agreed upon that impact health & safety
- Socially inappropriate responses – tantruming (screaming, crying, stomping, and other disruptive behaviors), self-injurious behaviors (including pica, head banging or hair pulling) or self- stimulating behaviors (including rocking, staring, etc.)
- Aggression towards self, others or property that does not result in injury to others
- History of AWOL or wandering
- Non -ambulatory
- Mental Health or Substance Abuse diagnosis
- Judicial Involvement (under court order, just released from a court order
Note: Behaviors such as arson/fire setting and sex offenses are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
HCS is a non-medical program.
Location of Services
- In the San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda and Contra Costa County communities